Double click (or tap) on any English word on the website to open its definition at TheFreeDictionary.com in a new window.
What is 4 for Now?
4 for Now is a series of nonfiction blog post about social issues and corrections on common historial retellings, each under four minutes (well, most of them). They’re meant to give you the information you need to do better, sooner, while the kids are napping, when you’re in line at lunch, or wherever you have five minutes (or less). Read more about 4 for Now.
Latest Blog Posts
- Roundup: Things that are More Important than a Dead QueenFeatured Image: Photo by cottonbro. Edited in Affinity Designer. 4 for Now With all the media coverage, you’d think England’s queen dying is the event of a lifetime. But if you look past… Read more Roundup: Things that are More Important than a Dead Queen
- This Blog Ain’t Big Enough for the Both of Us: Mutual ExclusivityFeatured Image: Photo by Jeswin Thomas on Pexels. 4 for Now One of my early 4 for Now posts was about false dichotomies. To refresh, a true dichotomy is when there are only… Read more This Blog Ain’t Big Enough for the Both of Us: Mutual Exclusivity
- More on Framing: Mistakes and ConceptsFeatured Image: Frame by Pixaline on Pixabay. Lightbulb by Clker-Free-Vector-Images on Pixabay. Edited in Affinity Designer. 4 for Now My introduction to framing explained what framing is, two major worldviews, and why framing… Read more More on Framing: Mistakes and Concepts
- Homelessness May Be Closer Than You ThinkFeatured Image: Original art by Gonzo, a homeless artist. If you’re able to donate to him, his CashApp is $PeaceLoveSprayPaint and his Paypal is PayPal.me/plspraypaint. 4 for Now News about homelessness often comes… Read more Homelessness May Be Closer Than You Think
- Intelligence: A Construct Built on BigotryFeatured Image: “Galaxy Brain” meme images by Jon Manning includes Brain by mahesh, Realistic Human Basemesh by Ozne000, and Stellar nursery in the arms of NGC 1672 by NASA & ESA. Bahnschrift font by Aaron… Read more Intelligence: A Construct Built on Bigotry
Hi, I’m Kristen (she/her) and I’ve been complicit in a white supremacist system for over 38 years. I was always the quiet kid, afraid of questioning authority and getting into trouble. Little did I know, that’s exactly what white supremacy wants of us all.
I had an eye-opening moment in 2009, when finally I learned who Emmett Till was (no thanks to my public school education), that sparked a burst of self-education. Falling back on my conditioning, however, I said little more than some despairing comments about how horrible things “were back then” before going on with my life.
As I resumed my education in 2020, I started learning more than I realized I wanted to know about U.S. politics and capitalism and how they depend upon racism and other forms of oppression. To maintain the status quo, those in power enforce the public’s ignorance. I realized (at long last!) that fighting this ignorance is too important to keep quiet about.
I’m good at synthesizing information and I love sharing what I learn with others, so when I’m not working on novels or short stories, I’ll be posting short #4forNow articles about a variety of topics.
A descendant of colonizers, I occupy land stolen from the Nanrantsouak, N’dakina (Abenaki), and Wabanaki (Dawnland Confederacy) nations, where I sometimes make art to put on stuff [Society6].